The NYS Tribute Foundation will consider grant requests from not-for-profit organizations with 501(c)(3) status who are located within New York State and registered with the New York State Department of Law Charities Bureau. In addition, individuals interested in funeral service and other professions related to death, dying and bereavement are eligible for our professional scholarships.
Examples of possible recipients include (but are not limited to)
- Public and private schools, colleges and universities
- Social service organizations
- Environmental organizations
The NYS Tribute Foundation cannot respond to requests for financial assistance for, or on behalf of, individuals seeking assistance with burial costs.
The process involves submitting a letter of inquiry, developing a full proposal and then review and decision-making.
Grant applicants must possess 501(c)(3) status as a tax exempt not-for-profit organization. Applicants must submit a letter of inquiry which briefly outlines the project/program for which funding is sought. Organizations should explain how program goals relate to foundation goals and objectives. Letters of inquiry are accepted and reviewed throughout the year.
Note: The process for organizational grant applications is different from the scholarship application process.
Grant application and guidelines
Letters should not exceed two pages, and should include:
- The legal name used by the applicant exactly as recorded by the Internal Revenue Service
- IRS tax identification number
- A concise statement of the purpose of the request, its significance and strengths, and the results sought
- An estimated project budget (if project funds are being applied for) and the current annual budget for the organization
- Organizational and professional capacity and expertise
- A timeline for the implementation of the project and for intended results
Letters of inquiry should be mailed to:
New York State Tribute Foundations, Inc.
1 South Family Drive
Albany, New York 12205
Following receipt and review of the initial letter of inquiry, selected applicants will be invited to submit a full proposal for detailed review by the Foundation Board of Directors. Choose from one of the following options ONLY if you have been invited to submit a full proposal by the Tribute Foundation.
Download the funding guidelines including the funding application
Download the funding application only
Completed applications are reviewed by the Foundation staff and Board of Directors. As part of the review process, Foundation staff may call to inquire about the application or to clarify information submitted in the application. The Board of Directors is responsible for final funding decisions.